For the Topping/Filling:
- 1/3 C Archway Windmill Cookie crumbs
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, chilled
- 1/3 C firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 C blanched almonds, chopped or slivered
For the Cake:
- ½ C raisins
- ¼ C brandy or light rum (may substitute water)
- 1 ½ C Archway Windmill Cookie crumbs
- ¾ C heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ C sugar
- 1 C all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Position a rack to the middle of the oven.
- Lightly grease an 8 or 9” round spring form pan or cake pan.
- In a food processor, crumble an entire (9 oz) package of Archway Windmill Cookies. Pulse until a fine crumb is achieved. (Alternately, you can crush the cookies in a large zip lock baggie with a rolling pin.)
- Measure out 1/3 C of the cookie crumbs for the topping/filling into a small bowl and pour the rest of the crumbs (there should be about 1 ½ C) into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- To the 1/3 C of crumbs, add 2 Tbsp flour and stir.
- Cut 1/2 of a stick of chilled butter into cubes and cut into the flour/cookie mixture with a fork until pieces are about pea size.
- Add in the brown sugar and cinnamon, stir until combined and set aside.
- In a small shallow dish, heat brandy for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Pour in raisins, stir and set aside. (the warm brandy will not only add flavor, but plump up the raisins as well)
- Heat heavy cream and 4 tablespoons of butter in the microwave until just hot and butter is melted (about 1 minute).
- Pour cream and butter mixture over the 1 ½ C of cookie crumbs and stir until combined.
- Add in the brandy and raisin mixture.
- Next, add in one slightly beaten egg and the vanilla. Stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add the flour mixture all at once into the cookie mixture and stir quickly until combined.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle half of the topping/filling mixture evenly over the top.
- Pour the remaining cake batter over the filling, then sprinkle the remaining topping/filling along with the chopped almonds over the top of the coffee cake.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF for about 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs clinging. (do not wait until toothpick inserted comes out clean because it will be too dry)
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before running a knife along the edges and releasing the spring form ring. Serve warm and enjoy with a nice cup of java!